About the Benefit
Q. Why are my social security number and birthdate needed to apply for the Veterans online shopping benefit?

Only authorized customers can shop online exchanges. To validate eligibility, VetVerify needs your social security number, date of birth and last name to compare against the records that have been made available by the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) and other government sources of Veteran records. If a match is not found with this information, then you may be required to enter your Service Number for the most complete search of our records. For more information on Service Numbers, please go to the National Archives website.

A social security number is the unique identifier for a customer's data as provided to VetVerify. When customers visit the website of their favorite online exchanges for first time, they will create a username to be used as their unique identifier with that exchange.

VetVerify has taken appropriate measures to safeguard your personal information.

Q. What are the requirements for authentication?

To qualify for participation in the Veteran online shopping benefit, you must have a discharge status of “honorable” or “general under honorable conditions" on record with DMDC. There are some circumstances in which you will be able to submit a digital copy of your discharge paperwork to supplement an incomplete DMDC record.

Your eligibility for this benefit is based on your most recent discharge from military service. For example, if you were honorably discharged from the Air Force, but were later discharged from the Army under other than honorable conditions, you are not eligible to participate in this benefit.

Q. When can I begin using my benefit?

The Veterans online shopping benefit is effective as of Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017.

Q. Does being authenticated by VetVerify mean I qualify for other government Veterans programs or benefits?

No. VetVerify is used solely to verify eligibility for the online shopping benefit and no others.

Q. Who can shop the online exchanges?


  • Active-duty military
  • Retirees
  • Reserve personnel
  • National Guard personnel
  • Ready Reserve, which includes Selective Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve, and Inactive National Guard
  • U.S. civilian Department of Defense employees, when stationed outside of the U.S.
  • Department of State officials serving in foreign countries
  • Dependent family members of the above
  • 100% disabled Veterans and their approved dependents
  • Honorably discharged Veterans

Q. Who is eligible for the Veterans online shopping benefit?

To qualify for participation in the Veterans online shopping benefit, you must be a Veteran of the United States Armed Forces with a discharge status of "honorable" or "general under honorable conditions."

If you meet these requirements, please go to your favorite online exchange (AAFES, NEXCOM, MCX or CGX) and try to register for an account. You will be redirected to VetVerify if more information needed.

Q. Why can’t I be authenticated?

There are several possible reasons you cannot be authenticated.

  • Your information was entered incorrectly. To be authorized, you must provide your first and last name, social security number and birthdate. If information is submitted inaccurately, you cannot be authenticated. If you receive an error, please check the requested information for accuracy and completeness and resubmit.
  • You did not enter your last name as it was at the time of your discharge.
  • Your discharge was not characterized as either "honorable" or "general under honorable conditions."
  • You have been discharged too recently to be in the VetVerify database.
  • Your discharge information is unavailable.

The Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) is digitizing hundreds of thousands of personnel records for military service members. It is possible your record has not been added to the DMDC database yet.

Q. My record wasn’t found in your database. What can I do?

VetVerify is working to obtain access to new sources of Veteran records to better serve you and ensure you can verify your eligibility. If we believe that your information has been located in one of our new sources, VetVerify will contact you with next steps.

You may also submit your discharge paperwork for manual review. This process will take some research on the part of the VetVerify team. You will receive an email notification when the review is complete. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

To begin, please submit a new verification form.

Q. The website stated my “Record Does Not Provide Enough Information” - what do I do?

If you received this message, your record is most likely missing a type of discharge (also known as "character of service" or "character of separation"). You need to submit a digital copy of your discharge paperwork that reflects your discharge status to be reviewed for eligibility. After you submit your verification form, you will be prompted to upload the necessary paperwork. For more information, please see the Missing Information page.

Q. I received a message that I was not eligible to shop. What can I do?

This response most likely indicates that, according to the records provided to VetVerify, your discharge status is being reported as other than "honorable" or "general under honorable conditions."

If you have discharge paperwork from your most recent military service that reflects a discharge status of "honorable" or "general under honorable conditions," please send a digital copy to with "VV NOT ELIGIBLE RESPONSE" in the subject line.

The VetVerify technical team will contact the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) who will research your file and give a final verification status. The DMDC has the final authority on verification, as they work in close contact with each service branch regarding Veterans records. This process will take considerable time to ensure that each case is thoroughly vetted, so please wait at least 30 days before contacting the VetVerify team for follow-up.

Discharge Paperwork
Q. What type of discharge paperwork is accepted for review?

You must submit a federal government form that includes your full name at time of discharge, SSN/Service Number and a type of discharge (also known as "character of service" or "character of separation") that is either "honorable" or "general under honorable conditions." Examples include (but are not limited to): DD214 (Member Copies 2-8), DD215 (with corrected discharge status), NGB-22 or DD256/257.

Your paperwork cannot be redacted in any way, including but not limited to: crossing sections out, covering them with liquid eraser or filling them with dark ink; overlapping and/or folding copies where the full page is not visible or readable; and/or removing sections, whether by cutting them out or otherwise removing them from the document.

The most common type of discharge paperwork is the DD214. This is the official form issued at the time of discharge or separation by the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines. It includes important information about your military service, such as your status (as retired or separated) and details regarding awards, decorations and date of entry, among others. This form must include your character of discharge to be reviewed for eligibility. Please go to the National Archives' website for more information about the DD214.

Please note that Member Copy 1 of the DD214 does not provide all the necessary information to check your eligibility for this benefit.
Q. How do I obtain replacement discharge paperwork if I no longer have it?

First, please contact the National Archives to request your service records.

If you are unable to receive your paperwork through the National Archives, please contact the branch of service human resources command or personnel command that applies to you. If you have served in more than one branch, please contact your most recent branch of service.

Air Force:
Public Health Service:
Q. I have official discharge paperwork reflecting an honorable discharge, but my record wasn't found in your database. Can I submit my discharge paperwork for review?

For security reasons, our customer service team can only validate the discharge status for records that already exist in our database. Please see the Missing Information page for more information regarding what steps you may need to take.

About VetVerify
Q. What organization are you affiliated with (DOD, etc.)? is a shared service for the four military exchanges (AAFES, NEXCOM, MCX and CGX) with the sole purpose of supporting the Veterans online shopping benefit. VetVerify uses data from the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) as well as other government sources of Veteran records to verify eligibility.

Q. Where is your organization located? is a shared service for the four military exchanges (AAFES, NEXCOM, MCX and CGX) with the sole purpose of supporting the newly approved Veterans online shopping benefit. The support center is located in Dallas, TX.

Q. Who do I contact for issues related to

Veterans can email VetVerify at, call 1-844-868-8672 (toll-free) or chat online with a customer service representative.

VetVerify live chat
banner flags
Return to Top

2017 All rights reserved

Privacy Policy

McAfee Secure Logo
Chat With Us